Thursday, October 6, 2022

3. Migration to Hyderabad, School / College Studies: 

3.1 We lived in two rented houses between 1959 and 1964 and then moved into our own house in Saidabad Housing Board Colony, which was very close to our Malakpet Colony School.  Our Schooling was not affected due to these shiftings. Meantime, my younger sister Jyothi and brother Venkateswara Rao -were born and all four of us studied in the same School.  My father continued his part-time post graduate studies in Public Administration and Industrial / Personnel Management and grew in his Official positions.  He was also Secretary of the Saidabad Colony Residents Association and AP Sistakaranam Association Hyderabad (Regd), besides his professional and family responsibilities. 

3.2 We had a big group of Sistakaranam families viz., Dabbiru Narayana Rao, Patnayakuni Venkat Rao, Muddukrishna (PV Patnaik), P Suryanarayana, Chowdari Lakshmana Rao, Chowdari Govinda Rao, Behara Satyanarayana, and others in Malakpet Colony.  A few more names to recollect were Sri Kondavalasa Krishna Murthy garu, ex-President APSKA   Sri BMM Bhujanga Rao, Sadasivuni Prasada Rao, Salur Prasada Rao, (Labour) Prasada Rao, P Bhaktavatsala Patnaik - ex-President APSKA, Justice S Madhusudhan Rao, Vinod Nath Patnaik, (Bata) Narahari Rao, Justice ND Patnaik, Dr Raghunath Patnaik and others.  Most of these men were in govt service. In fact, my father has been my role model in several facets in my life. 

About our School - Page 2


Dinner meeting of trio me, Purandhar and GSR in Secunderabad in 2012


Our School : Page 1





3.3 The youngest in our class was Y Purandar (in the picture above), who turned to be one of the bright stars in career.  After serving for long years in ECIL on the Scientific field, for the past decade or so he is into Academics as a Dean in Hyderabad based Engineering College / University.  He remembers and can recall names of any student or teacher or any incident or facts and figures about our School even now.  We keep meeting regularly.  

Our family : Father, Mother, Elder & Younger Brothers and Sister in 1970

3.4 I joined Science College, Saifabad (OU), Masab Tank, in Hyderabad for my PUC (with MPC) in June 1967 based on my marks in HSC exams.  It was about 12 KM from home, and I had to travel via Kothi in / change two RTC Buses daily.  Moving from School to College at less than 15 years of my age, I started wearing full pants and pursuing English Medium studies.  New friends, new environment, Science Labs and NCC Classes were new experience.   National Cadet Corps (NCC) was compulsory for all College students, due to the reason we just went through two wars with China in 1962 and Pakistan in 1965.  The annual NCC Camp I attended in December 1967 at RK Puram, Secunderabad is still fresh in my memory.  My elder brother visited me in the Camp to check my welfare. 

3.5 At home, I was an active member of Saidabad Colony Youth Club engaging in extra-curricular activities like Library Work, Chess, Carroms, Cricket, Volleyball, Ball Badminton, Tennikoit, and Light Music.  I took up membership of USIS Centre (American) Library and John F Kennedy Science Film Club. Mr Sitaram Yechury (CPM) was our friend then. Unfortunately, the OU Colleges were affected in some Student Union rivalries and communal clashes in the year 1967-68, which affected our college studies and eventually the exams. The results naturally were very disappointing and hit my career.  

3.6 I joined B.Sc. (3 YDC) with Maths, Physics and Geology at NB Science College, Hyderabad under Osmania University in June 1968. In Geology, we started studying Minerology, Petrology, Crystallography and other subjects of interest. I was participating in Cultural activities like Debating, Mock-Assembly and unsuccessfully contested for the post of President of Telugu Literary Association of the College in 1969.  Osmania University, Hyderabad

3.7 Unfortunately, the Separate Telangana State agitation that stirred in early 1969 took worst turn and affected our studies again.  No classes, no examinations and total uncertainty making me sit at home and idling for about two years.  The political movement was controlled by GOI, but as many as 350 students lost their lives then.  1969 Telangana Agitation - Wikipedia.  I learnt English Typewriting and passed Lower and Higher-Grade exams in first class.  

3.8 When the University held the B.Sc. 2nd year exams, I attended and cleared the Languages Papers, with highest marks in College.  The University syllabus and scheme was that examinations were to be held only at the end of third year covering all three years portions, Science Lab Work, etc.  In the normal course, I could have got my B.Sc degree in hand by March 1971 only to decide about future career of studies or employment. But it didn't happen.  


Continued ......... 4







No comments: