I wrote on June 30 on this topic after reading a news item then. It reappears today with some more details. The main recommendations of Mr Khandelwal Committee to the Government of India are stated to be:-
- Maharatna for SBI, Navaratna and Mini-Ratna status to other State-owned banks;
- Stock Options for 15% staff;
- Rural Stints for hires (including clerical staff);
- Separation of the Post of Chairman and Managing Director
- Setting up of Banking Leadership Development Institute
Finally, SBI being tipped straight away for Maharatna by another banker from a PSB is a laudable gesture. He seems to have done an honest assessment of its size in terms of branches, staff, levels of business and as a trendsetter in several business development initiatives. SBI deserves.